Thursday, September 20, 2012

I am a (tri)ROCK STAR!



I am in here somewhere!

The entire Team Challenges were in the first heat. We wore orange swim caps. It was so crazy to see us jumping little by little and settle at the starting line. I was pretty calm. The night before coach Paul gave us an awesome speech. A prepared and ready athlete is the calm athlete! I was! Shortly after we entered the water, they announced a minute warning...45 seconds..10...9...8....My OH CRAP mode set in for like a second, and then I was ready. I said to myself, "Here we go Jess. Let's go! Swim". I was convinced I was one of the last people in the water. It was tough! I was pushing myself. I was breathing hard, but kept  going. My goggles were giving me trouble by getting foggy and I still need to work on my sighting. I had to stop a few times, but kept pushing through saying to myself, "You got this Jess. Keep going! You're almost there. Keep moving, and you'll get there". 
Once I got out of the water, coach Sarah yells, "Look at you!" I  was surprised. That gave me confidence and the boost I needed. I was happy that I was doing so well! I was out of the water in a little under 11 minutes. On my way over to the transition area I saw a few friends and it was the nicest surprise to see them cheering for me. I was running over to the transition area, but slowed down a bit or else I knew I'd fall over. When I got to my bike I was kinda shaking. I think it was part nerves! I thought, "Breathe Jessica. Breathe. Get out of your wet suit, get your shoes on, helmet, glasses, go. What are you doing? Don't dry off! Go!" haha. I had my energy goo, got going, and mounted. 

I was a bit out of breath when I started the bike. I tried to keep up with a teammate who also started the bike portion around the same time. After hitting a few bumps my kickstand was getting in the way. Prior to race day, my kickstand was getting in the way of the wheel, making this horrible sound. I had it looked at, tightened, and even had to get it replaced. Race day, same thing. It was making a horrible sound and I tried to ignore it and keep pushing, but I was worried it would mess up my wheel. I had to get off and that set me back a little. Janet caught up with me though! I had a few more slower moments when I had to get water. I still need to learn to grab my water bottle and put it back in it's place while riding. Irregardless, Jan and I finished and started running together! :) I was ready to get off that bike and to running! I hated the bike portion, honestly! Not my favorite. 

Here I am crossing the finish line! It was great! My calf and Achilles was kinda hurting  halfway through the running, but kept thinking, "GO, GO, GO". I did have additional motivation. My goal was to finish, strong, and catch up with my teammate, Cassie. She passed me on the bike portion.  
CONFESSION: I saw here on the run and said to Janet, "There she is. Let's catch up! Let's go". Sadly, Janet and I didn't stay together, but we finished!! I was in a mode that just took me over. I powered through and wanted to finish fast. I thought, "The faster you go, the sooner you can stop". I tried to keep thinking this than focus on the pain in my leg. Needless to say, I got new running shoes the week after. 

The sister and I with our lovely medals. We're TRIATHLETES! 

So, when's the next one??

No comments:

Post a Comment